You’re excited — you’ve just closed on a beautiful new home and you can’t wait to start your new life. Unfortunately, packing up all your possessions to move can be a huge undertaking if you’re moving to another town, across town or even across the street!
To help keep the chaos of moving to a minimum, we have compiled a list of the most important things to remember before you pack the first box, all the way to moving day:
First things first: Let’s talk about packing.
If you are planning on hiring a company to help you move, we recommend contacting them as soon as you have a date in mind to move and also to see if they have any packing requests for moving day.
If you are moving yourself, be sure to take the packing just as seriously to avoid discovering any unfortunate incidents in your new home. We have found the best links for packing tips and have shared them below:
- Planning your packing strategy? Learn how to start packing.
- Make sure you get the tools for the job — here are the best boxes for moving.
- A break-free move is an ideal move — read these packing tips for valuables.
Helping It Run Smoothly
Here are some tips to follow on the actual moving day to make sure your day goes smoothly:
- Love a good checklist? Here are 21 tips for staying organized.
- Moving day! Here are some moving tips for the day you arrive.
Utility Setup & Change of Address
Now that you have all of your possessions in order, it’s time to think about the less obvious stuff. Below is a list of all the important things to set up before the move or to make sure have a change of address (some have handy links to help you take care of them online!).
- Guelph Hydro/Alectra
- Hydro One (Rural Properties)
- Union Gas
- Reliance (water heater, furnace, air conditioners, water softeners)
- Internet Provider
Government & Business:
- Health Practitioner’s Offices (Dentist, Chiropractor, Veterinarian, etc.)
- Insurance Providers
- Cell Phone Provider
- Post Office for Forwarding Missed Mail
- Banks and Credit Cards
- Magazine Subscriptions and Friends/Family
You’re All Moved In!
We are so very thankful that you chose to work with us in finding your special new home. Now, go enjoy it!
If you think of anything we missed here, please let us know!